20 years of reading - the authors

Onto the final post in this short series! Where we find out: who are the writers of these books? Well, for starters, they are mostly women. Overall, 60% of the books I read were written by women (and that doesn't count those that were written by both men and women). But I had a hypothesis that this had changed over time- that I started off reading more books by men but now a large majority of the books I read are written by women. Time to test it out with a graph!




And the graph shows that is broadly true (for reference, the 'other' category includes books written by a combination of genders, books were the authors gender is unknown, and non-binary authors). In 2003 61% of the books I read were written by men- and for the next 5 years it hovered around 50/50. In 2010 the proportion written by women started to climb, and many years after that it's hovered around 60% women (though there were a few 50/50 years in 2012, 2016 and 2017). The most gender-unbalanced year was 2019, with 89% women authors, and in 3 of the last 5 years the proportion written by women has been at or over 75%. 

Why is this? I don't consciously attempt to read more books by women- I know they're overrepresented in my reading anyway. Partly I think I am more drawn to them, partly they're the books I'm hearing about, and partly I think it's the type of books I'm reading. I don't read a tonne of non-fiction, I've stopped reading as much epic fantasy, I often like cozy or domestic themes, I'm drawn to genre stories that are doing something a bit different to the norm.. and maybe those areas attract more women than men. Anyway that's my theory so far. But also I think it's probably affected by the number of long murder mystery series I read that are written by women. Which I realised by looking at...

my most read authors


This is the top 10 authors with the highest number of books on my list.

  1. Kerry Greenwood - 25
  2. Agatha Christie - 21
  3. Diana Wynne Jones - 15
  4. Elizabeth Peters - 14
  5. (equal 4th) Terry Pratchett - 14
  6. (equal 4th) Ben Aaronovitch - 14
  7. (equal 4th) Dorothy Sayers - 14
  8. Frances Brody - 11
  9. P.G. Wodehouse - 10
  10. (equal 10th) A.S. Byatt - 10
And 5 of those 10 are women who write crime series- topped by Kerry Greenwood and her Phryne Fisher series, then Agatha Christie who needs no introduction from me. There's also a man who writes a fantasy/crime series (Ben Aaronovitch with his Rivers of London series). That's a lot of crime! But not that surprising since mystery series can run for a huge number of books. Agatha Christie wrote over 70 novels, so I'm really lagging behind with her. 

Incidentally, one of the things that I hoped to get out of this exercise was identifying which Agatha Christie books I had and hadn't read, so that I could pick up new ones instead of keeping on rereading them. Unfortunately I have lost all of 2009, when I could well have been reading Agatha Christie, and also started reading her as a teenager, before the lists existed. But 21 is a good start.

One author on this list that is surprising is Terry Pratchett. Not because I didn't think I'd read many of his books- at one point I'd read all of them twice- but because that point in my life was before 2003. I didn't know he had that many books- I do know that I haven't read all of the later ones. So I'm not sure how, in between all that, I read 14 new books of his! A super prolific author. I'm also not sure how I managed to read 10 A.S. Byatt books, even though I actively sought out all her books after falling in love with Possession in late 2002/early 2003 (I'm not sure exactly- but it is on the list). I didn't love The Children's Book quite as much, but somehow in between those two I managed 10 of her books.

Overall there are 635 (give or take) authors represented in my 20 years of reading. That means for every author I read, on average, 2.8 of their books (but a median of 1), or around 32 different authors a year.

And that's it for my 20 year wrap up! Unless you have any burning questions for me to answer. It's been fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2023 Booklist