I thought this would be an appropriate way to herald in a new year of blogging: with a meme stolen from Ronni:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Got married! Graduated from university. Got a full-time job and held it down for three months. An eventful year really...
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not sure whether I made any... But this year I have. Not too sure that I'll keep it though.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, although some people I know got pregnant.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None, I stayed in Australia the whole time.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Organisational skills. A clean house.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
5th April- my wedding day. I hope that it remains etched in my memory because I'll have to remember it for anniversaries and so on.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting married, graduating from uni, getting a job...
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't know what my biggest failure was, some kind of amalgamation of all my failings?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual cold, flu and hayfever.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Concert tickets, a care package, litres of champagne
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Well there are many people that I know who acheived things this year- who got into courses or graduated form them, who got married or got drivers licences or went and did something good for the community or the world. There are people who helped in the running of my wedding, who I very much appreciated. On a more international scale I can't think of anyone whose behaviour was consistently worthy of celebration...
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Well I started reading the news regularly, so there was alot of that in there.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Towards a wedding!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting married! These answers are getting repetetive, I'm sorry....
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
MGMT Electric Feel, or all MGMT really.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier. Possibly.
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter for sure.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer! Full time job does that for you...
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading, travelling, writing, hanging with friends, having random adventures.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Work. Especially at Oporto.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family- my parents, grandparents, siblings, husband. Good traditional Christmas with turkey and tree and Church and presents and people.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I was already in love. Fell more in love?
23. Did your heart break in 2008?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
In 2008? Top Gear, Spicks and Specks, Bones maybe? And So You Think You Can Dance. Didn't watch alot of tv though...
25. Where were you when 2008 began?
In the Rocks in Sydney, watching the fireworks, drinking champagne etc.
26. Who were you with?
Uni friends, and Andrew, and Alicia, and thousands of strangers
27. Where will you be when 2008 ends?
At a pool party/BBQ in Beecroft
28. Who will you be with when 2008 ends?
Uni friends, Andrew
29. What was the best book you read?
Probably 'The Corrections'. Will post a more comprehensive list later :) But that was a very good book, that I avoided reading for a long time because I thought it wouldn't be.
30. What was your greatest musical discovery?
31. What did you want and get?
32. What did you want and not get?
A trip overseas, a reliable internet connection.
33. What was your favourite film of this year?
I think 'Once' was in 2007, so I'll have to go for Juno.
34. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Andrew decorated my flat with balloons while I was out, then Sylvia, Angi, Andrew and Enoh came over to eat dinner and cake, play cards and wear party hats. I turned 22.
35. How many different states did you travel to in 2008?
Three- If you can count NSW. I visited the ACT and Victoria.
36. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Eclectic? Confused? A bipolar (or tripolar) collision between the practical, the stylish and the eccentric.
37. What kept you sane?
Sane? All the people who helped at the wedding, Andrew, multiple books.
38. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Barack Obama! Maybe. Not a big fan of celebrities generally...
39. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US elections. The proposed internet filter. The conflict in the Congo, and the political instability of Zimbabwe.
40. How many concerts did you see in 2008?
I can only remember seeing two- Conor Oberst and Cloud Control. Both very different, both very enjoyable. Hoping to see more concerts in the new year.
41. Did you have a favourite concert in 2008?
Loved them both! Really enjoyed Cloud Control as finally got a chance to check out the Hopetoun.
42. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't remember who I met, apart from work people. Oh, and some bible study people. I enjoyed meeting them. Had a fantastic bible study this year.
43. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Nothing so bad that it immediately springs to mind.
44. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2008?
The only things I can think of are those times I said stupid things or took people literally when they weren't being literal, silly little things like that.
45. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
There's so much to do in life, but prioritizing is difficult.
46. What are your plans for 2009?
Keep on doing much the same- work, read books, etc. Would like to go to Japan but don't think that will happen :(
47. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"What else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute"
-MGMT, 'Time to Pretend'
"I wish I could go back to college"
- Avenue Q