book haul

I'm more of a library borrower than a book buyer generally, so you don't see many of these posts, but on the weekend I finally got around to using a (very old) book voucher at Gleebooks, and I thought I'd share the results!


Bad quality photo- but beautiful books
The Man Within - Graham Greene
Honestly the only reason I picked this was 1) it cost the right amount to use up the last few dollars of my book voucher, 2) I really loved my Graham Greene reading last year and 3) I was in a bit of a hurry by this point. I actually know nothing about this book, so that could be interesting. The back cover suggests its a courtroom drama about smuggling? Intriguing...

Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch
The latest in the Peter Grant series- urban fantasy/crime books set in London. The main character is a policeman and apprentice wizard. I've mentioned these before, here and briefly here (I thought I'd written something longer somewhere, but my search doesn't seem to be working properly, so I can never be sure). Basically, I think these are fun but occasionally flawed by things like drastic shifts in tone, strange editing and a hero who is sometimes just too oblivious. Still, for the most part pretty good (and I'm still buying them as they come out, so they must be doing something right).

The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton
Last year's Booker prize winner, and my next book group read. I thought buying it was a better bet than trying to get my hands on it at the library. I must admit to being a bit daunted by the size of it, but encouraged since Ronni recommended it very highly (though sadly she hasn't written about it, I don't think). As far as I know it involves murder, possibly conspiracies, a New Zealand family in the 19th century, maybe a family saga? Or maybe just historical? Not sure- will find out (hopefully I will make it to the end).

The Late Scholar - Jill Paton Walsh
I read the first paragraphs of Alex's review over at Thinking in Fragments and was so excited to see that this was a continuation of Dorothy L. Sayers' Peter Wimsey novels and apparently pretty well done that I knew I wanted to get my hands on it. Just now I've had a closer look and noticed that it is the 4th in Walsh's Peter Wimsey books, but although it might have been a good idea to start at the beginning (so to speak?) I am pretty excited to read this.

I'm sad that I still haven't managed to get my hands on Sarah Rees Brennan's Untold, but hopefully soon! In the meantime I have plenty to keep me busy...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2022 Booklist