not wisely but too well

I've been reading Book Lust by Nancy Pearl recently and loving it- it's a collection of lists of books on different topics and to suit different moods put together by a booklover and librarian, and though it seems like an ideal book to dip in and out of I've pretty much been reading it cover to cover (it's helping with a small lack of reading inspiration as well). In the introduction she says:
I love to read. And while I may not absolutely agree with the Anglo-American man of letters Logan Pearsall Smith, who said, "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading," I come awfully close to subscribing to his sentiment.
I was struck by this, and her dedication to her granddaughter "who I hope grows up loving to read, but not too much." It reminds me of the time a friend in high school told me that some day I would have to stop reading and start living. Of course, I immediately dismissed this, because isn't reading part of living (a vital part, even)? But sometimes I wonder, would I choose the world over a good book? Is it possible to love books too much?

Comments

  1. In answer to your question Catie, I think it is, but I don't think those of us who get out into the blogging world suffer from that problem. At least, I hope not. And now I'm off to look for the Pearl book, which sounds exactly my sort of comfort read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about that! And I hope you enjoy Nancy Pearl, I certainly did (though maybe I should warn you the book has quite an American focus).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2022 Booklist